When your alarm goes off first thing in the morning, your first thought is probably DAMN, DAMN, DAMN, in my Florida Evan’s voice. Already? Really? Feels like I just fell asleep 20 minutes ago. Now, since your phone is already in your hand from hitting snooze on your alarm, you begin to scroll through all of your social media accounts looking for what you have missed the past 8 hours since you have been asleep.
After checking your e-mail notifications and social media sites for 30 minutes you realize that you only have an hour to get dressed, eat breakfast, and get to work on time. So, you hop out of bed, throw a little water on yourself, think about making breakfast, but then you start to pray that someone at work brings donuts today and you dash out the door.
At this moment you have just set the tone for your day. By checking your email and social media sites first thing in the morning, you have given up your power and allowed others to set the tone for your day. Have you ever checked your Facebook first thing in the morning and read or saw something that just ruined your day?Start your morning with a routine that yields positivity and productivity? Learn how to stop surrendering control to others first thing in the morning. Start your morning off with a meaningful morning meditation. Say that fast 5 times; Meaningful Morning Meditation! LOL. Webster dictionary defines meditate as:
- 1: to engage in contemplation on or reflection; He meditated long and hard before announcing his decision.
- 2: to engage in mental exercise (such as concentration on one’s breathing or repetition of a mantra) for the purpose of reaching a heightened level of spiritual awareness.
Meditation has been shown to:
- Reduce Stress
- Increase Calmness
- Promote Happiness
- Enhance Self Esteem
- Increase Clarity
- Reduce Blood Pressure
- And So Much More…….
Meditating is a great way to start your day. It allows you to start the day off refreshed, focused, and relaxed. Meditation uses the practice of mindful breathing and guided imagery to help clear your mind of clutter. Studies have shown that meditation is beneficial to your mental and physical health.
There are many apps. out there to assist you when meditation. Below are a few that I’ve tried and liked:
- Calm; a guided meditation app to help reduce stress and enhance wellbeing
- Headspace; help you perform at your best through the life-changing skills of meditation and mindfulness. In just a few minutes a day, you’ll learn how to train your mind and body for a healthier, happier life.
- The Mindfulness App; is the perfect tool for anyone looking to improve mental health and overall wellbeing
- Happify; brings you effective tools and programs to take control of your emotional well-being
- Buddhify; the central idea in buddhify is that you don’t have to find time for meditation, instead it comes to you
Each morning I read my daily devotional by Joyce Meyer called; Power Thoughts Devotional 365 daily inspirations for winning the battle of the mind. See below a passage from the devotional:
Setting the Tone for Your Day
In the morning You hear my voice, O Lord: in the morning I prepare [a prayer, a sacrifice] for You and watch and wait [for You to speak to my heart]. Psalms 5:3
What was the first thing you said after getting up this morning? I believe we can prophesy (speak forth) and set the tone of the day by what we say at the beginning of it.
Maybe you said, “I”m tired, and I dread going to work.” Those kinds of words often come naturally, but you can decide to live supernaturally. You can talk as God would and say what He would say. Can you honestly image God saying, “I’m afraid this is going to be a lousy day”? Of course not! He would say something awesome and positive, and we should too– “I have favor everywhere I go”; Today is going to be an awesome day”; I’m going to see the hand of God at work today!”
Power Thought: I begin my day with an attitude of praise-praying and listening for God’s voice.
How do you start your day off?