Cue the fireworks! It is officially summer. Gosh, I just cannot believe that this year is halfway over. This year started out pretty rough for me but I’m determined to finish it with a BANG! I’ve learned through my recent trials that life is too short to worry about things that I can’t control and to focus my energy on the things that matter most. I’m currently on a mission to cultivate what matters and live on purpose. You might be asking, how do I cultivate what matters? Good question! I’m still learning but I wanted to share with you some helpful tips. Go ahead and roll up those sleeves and let us get down and dirty.
I read Make It Happen a couple of years ago and was very inspired. It is a must-read for all ladies, no matter your age, race, or stage you are at in your life. This book will give you purpose, hope, and the strength to make things happen in your own life. Lara teaches us that we don’t have to live a perfect life that we can live a beautifully imperfect life and be completely happy with its imperfections. We have the power to make changes in our life, stand up to our fears, and make it happen.
Last month, I hosted a ladies brunch with 25 amazing ladies and our friend, Lara Casey, donated each attendee a copy of Make It Happen along with her Six-Month PowerSheets Intentional Goal Planner. The PowerSheets is not a regular planner, but rather a workbook that helps you figure out and tend to important goals that you can then put into your planner.
The Cultivate What Matters proven process includes three steps:
1. First, uncover what matters to you: your passion, path, purpose, priorities, and big-picture vision
2. Then, make a plan: identify your big picture goals and clear starting steps
3. Finally, take action: think big picture and take small steps, experiencing change along the way
Think about, what is it in your life that matters most? Is it your family? A relationship with God? Living on purpose? Whatever, it may be it is time to start cultivating it. After it’s all said and done, what will you look back over your life and say mattered the most? For the remainder of the year I will focus my attention on:
- Spiritual growth
- Building a stronger marriage
- Spending more time with my spouse/kids
- Living a healthier life
- Growing my brand
- And much more!
On Lara’s website, she has a ton of information on how to set your goals and what steps you need to take to reach them see below:
4 things you can do right now to prepare well for the month ahead and the rest of this year:
1. Write out the story you want to tell on December 31st. We can’t predict the future, but we can make intentional decisions in one direction or another. Write a few sentences about what story you want to tell. There’s power in writing things down—our brains and hearts begin to make decisions about them!
2. Make a “Move Forward Summer” list. I did this last week and it was so helpful—so much so that 90% of what I wrote down has already changed! In the writing, I started making decisions on how to change those things. Write out your list starting with, “I want to move forward from…” An excerpt from my own Move Forward Summer List:
I want to move forward from always being in my head. Hearing what I think people’s motives are even if it’s a story and not a fact. The more I think about a perception that isn’t yet a proven fact, the more it becomes my reality.
I want to move forward from often feeling broken, imperfect, emotional, too much.
Honesty breeds clarity, and wow did I get some clarity writing my list!
4. Get ready for Mid-Year Goals Prep Week! Starting Monday, we’re spending 5 days intentionally preparing to make the most of the next six months. And you get to choose your adventure! What do you need most?
I hope that these tips that are posted on Lara’s website assist you with cultivating what matters to you.
The back of the book states: Make It Happen is for
- women who find themselves worried, anxious, and completely overwhelmed by the constant chase for perfection
- those seeking the courage to jump into a new venture
- working women who are struggling to “do it all”
- weary wives and moms looking for relief from burning the candle at both ends
- anyone who dreams of a life lived not by accident, but on purpose
If you fall in any of the above categories, I highly recommend you read Make It Happen.
What is it that you want to cultivate for the month of July? Is it a better relationship with God? A stronger marriage? Friendship? Financial Wealth? Comment below.